Sunday 22 October 2017

Recipe: Easy Bread Rolls






First off, I must begin this post with an apology. The reason I haven't updated or posted for so long is the usual excuse of being too unwell.

Everything has been flaring so life has been overwhelming and baking has been put on the back burner. Even cooking has had to be cut back on because I'm just simply not able to at the moment. So I'm sorry for my absence.
Last weekend I attempted to make some cookies for a post but they ended up a massive flop and were so unattractive. James and Freja had at least 10 cookies each so I guess they couldn't have tasted that bad! But they won no points in the look department.

As that failed and I simply don't have the energy to recipe test at the moment, I made a recipe that never fails me: bread rolls. Making your own bread is extremely satisfying and when you have a stand mixer, it's even easier. We ate ours with a simplified gammon in Coca-Cola by Nigella.

So in the spirit of finally giving you a recipe, these are my fool proof bread rolls.

Ingredients:
  • 500g strong white flour
  • 300ml warm water
  • 1 sachet/7g fast action yeast
  • 1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste)
  • 2tsp honey or 2tsp caster sugar
  • 3tsp olive oil or any oil you have

Method:
  1. Measure out your warm water and add in the yeast, oil and honey. Leave this to activate for at least 5 minutes (you'll know it's ready when you can smell the yeast strongly).
  2. Into a bowl or your stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, add the flour and salt and mix. 
  3. With the mixer going pour in the water and yeast mixture and mix until a dough is formed. Knead for 10-15 minutes either by hand or let the mixer do the work. I'll let you take a guess at what method I went for...
  4. Put your dough into an oiled bowl and leave to rise for an hour until doubled in size.
  5. Knock back and knead for a further 10 minutes.
  6. Split your dough into 8 equal balls and arrange on a floured and lined baking tray and leave to rise again for another hour.
  7. Pre-heat your oven to 200°. You can leave the rolls plain or you can egg wash them and sprinkle salt on top. 
  8. Bake the rolls for 10-15 minutes until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. 
It's that simple! The good thing about this recipe is that it's so adaptable. You can add sun-dried tomato paste, herbs or cheese and make them extra special. 

Again, I'm sorry for the lack of posting. Things will be back to normal soon... I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment